Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Headed in the Right Direction!!

Well, the doc just called with my A1C results. Let me just remind you that my last A1C in December of 2007 was 11.1, which was a little down from a year before at 11.3, which was way down than the past few years, when I didn't even get them tested and when I did were swimming around 15% and above.

So, now, in May of 2008, my A1c dropped nearly 3 points to 8.4%

I am proud. I still have a lot of work to do and it isn't nearly good enough, but I lowered it 3 POINTS and I know I still have so much work to do and some changes to make with my basals and my ratios, I just need a good CDE who will actually work with me.

I am encouraged, SO encouraged. I went from being terrified to take my insulin for fear of gaining weight, to just making the change and sucking it up and I am doing so much better. The weight frustrates me, and I do get down about it a LOT, but I am fighting it, and it looks like I am winning!! Yay!

Hopefully next time I can get it down another 3 points...ok, that might be pushing it, but at least another 2!!

I am living proof, that we can do anything we put our minds to. There was a time not that long ago where I would have sworn I had no life ahead of me, no future. I thought I was doomed to a life of illness, pain, and complications. Soon after I joined the Diabetes OC, someone told me that "Diabetes is not a death sentence" and they were so right. It is so far from it. It is manageable and it can be dealt with. It is just another part of LIFE, not death.

ANYONE can do this, you can change their life around and be well. Don't suffer through feeling sick and scared and alone. TOGETHER we can all fight this!! I am here to help if you need it! this.is.my.sos@gmail.com - just send me a note and we can make it together!

8 comments:

meanderings said...

Such nice news. You should be very proud of your hard work!

Araby62 (a.k.a. Kathy) said...

That's wonderful, Suzanne. Congratulations! :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Suzanne!

What great news. Welcome to single-digit-A1c-land!

Jillian said...

Yes! Good for you! This time last year my A1c was 10.5, my last one in February 2008 was 6.8. You are on the road, you are a fighter! I'm so so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Suzanne, that's awesome!!! All your hard work is paying off. Way to go!

~Suzanne~ said...

Thank you all so much for your encouraging words and your support. I KNOW that I could not have done this without every single one of you. Just knowing that you were there, that you had made it, and that I was not alone has been everything I needed and more!!

I was speaking to my Mom about it and she said that the last time my A1c was this low, I was around 9 or10...I was diagnosed at 9! That is so scary to me and I am so blessed to not have more complications that I have now (I've had surgery for retinopathy once on each eye).

All I can do it do what I can NOW to prevent future complications, but I won't let that fear stand in my way anymore!

Again, thank you all so much!!

Allison said...

That is amazing! Congratulations.

Jillian said...

You've been tagged! Check out my blog.